It’s now been 3 Months since I had my last taste of alcohol, WOW!! Im even impressed with myself!!! It only feels like last weekend I decided to give booze a break, how time flys when your having fun, sober!
For anyone who is thinking about doing the same and needs some inspiration, I want to share with you all the wonderful things that have happened to me over the last 13 weeks since I gave up wine ( without willpower I might add! )
- I have lost weight, how much exactly, I dont know because I threw my scales in the rubbish a few months ago when they pissed me off ( trying to value my self worth by a number on a scale ) I was never large and I can tell by my clothes that Im at least 1 dress size down, so maybe 5kg? which is great!
- I have gained a normal healthy relationship with food! Yes no more crazy cravings for crap food I normally would never touch or just eating too much of whatever the next day to try and comfort my hangover blues!
- I have not fallen ill and my sleeping has improved!
- I ended a long term relationship with someone I care deeply for with dignity because I gained clarity around what I needed for myself at this point in my life to grow in a postive way.
- I completed a 21 day meditation challenge and have continued meditating every day since ( which is pretty much nearly 3 months also )
- I got back in to yoga after nursing a lower back injury and completed a 9 day yoga challenge and have continued to go to classes 2-3 times a week!
- I walked the 1000 steps up in the Dandenong Ranges, which is a very very steep climb!!
- I won the Staff Pedemoter Challenge at work by walking over 64,000 steps in 3 days! ( ironically they gave me a bottle of champagne for a prize!?! )
- I continued to have a social life, going to Friday afterwork drinks, live music gigs and celebrating the AFL grand final… all places in bars, surrounded by friends drinking booze!!
- I went away on a weekend meditation retreat to gain some more clarity ( can never get enough of clarity, its my new favourite thing! )
- I even stayed the night at a winery!?!
- I have fallen even more in love with my job working with kids.
- I enrolled myself in a Meditation Teaching Diploma so by the end of next year I can teach others ( hopefully kids ) the benefits of meditating as I really believe a spiritual connection is key for true personal growth.
- I have saved lots of money cause cranberry and sodas are not an expensive drink!!
I’m sure if I spent more time thinking I could list off another 10 things!! On a personally level ive gained so much clarity ( theres that word again! ) around all the decisions I make each day and most of them seem to be of my highest good! I feel like I’m starting to grow in to the truest version of myself, my mood and tolerance has improved and thats a good thing!
So in saying that, as I finish 3 months I’m feeling super pumped to just keep going! So much so, today I agreed to commit to staying sober for 12 more months through the website Hello Sunday Morning. It’s a brilliant website where a network of people all over the globe can set themselves a 3 or 12 month challenge to quit the booze and share the journey online, setting goals and tracking progess each week!
Of course there are moments where I wish I could have just that one glass of wine, but for me that one glass isnt worth the feeling that comes along with it. I realised when changing my lifestyle to avoid alcohol, I actually never really enjoyed how alcohol made me feel!
If your up for a booze free challenge! Visit http://www.hellosundaymorning.org
What’s 3 months of doing something good for yourself instead of hangovers and feeling rather shit?